My Travel Quirks
1. I always wear the same outfit on bus days, like it’s a uniform or something. It’s because I seem to always get dirty and sweaty from carrying my pack or bus griminess in general, so I wear my work clothes that I don’t care about. Since I hate doing laundry, my philosophy is that it’s better to have one never-going-to-look-clean outfit then to have many kind-of-dirty ones.
2. We hate carrying a guidebook around so we hand-copy maps, addresses, and info into a little pocket-sized notebook we carry before going out on adventures.
3. I seem to lose things more while living out of a backpack than I do while living at home. I’ve now lost six consecutive crochet hooks needed to maintain my dreadlocks. Thank God they’re cheap.
4. I think I can feel myself getting “old” on this trip. No! I used to never be able to sleep on buses; now I nod off without even trying to. I recently fell asleep on top of my backpack on top of a concrete sidewalk. Way to be an old lady/bum.
5. My two biggest travel pet peeves are BUS CURTAINS and TOILETS WITHOUT SEATS. Honestly, bus curtains just flap in your face endlessly when the windows are open and block the view. I´ll sleep when it´s dark; I want to see out the window when it´s light! And if you´re going to build a western toilet, spend the extra $5 and put a seat on it! If you´re not going to do that, just build a hole in the ground. Squatting is easier than hovering!
I´m sure there are more of these but that´s all I can think of for now. Anyone else do or think weird things like this?